To make about 2 or 3 cups, you will need:
1 handful of raw Irish Moss Seaweed (IM) (not dried, powdered kelp)
1 salad spinner (spinner top not needed) or a colander with a bowl large enough for the colander to fit down into.
1 Ball-type quart jar with lid
Label to mark date of preparation (IM is good in the refrigerator for approxiamtely 2 weeks, but I have kept it longer)
- Take a handful of IM from the bag. Return bag to the
refrigerator. Place the IM in a bowl and clean thoroughly in cool water. Check the IM for bits of sea stuff that might be stuck to it like tiny white threads, pieces of shell, etc. Place the IM in a colander and the colander into a bowl that
is deep enough for the growing IM or you can use a salad spinner. Fill the colander and bowl with cool water to cover IM. I also use a salad spinner for the rinsing process...I don't spin the IM.
- After about 4-6 hours, rinse the IM one more
- Allow the IM to drain well.
- Place the drained IM in a blender with 1/2 to 1 cup of cool water. Blend for several minutes until smooth. If gel is too thick, add a little more water. Put finished gel
in a jar with lid. Depending on how much IM you start with, it usually makes about 3 cups of gel. Refrigerate.
- SMOOTHIES: Use one heaping tablespoon in your smoothie. Blend smoothie well.